Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Olympics and Political Protests: Then and Now

As a serious blogger of the Olympics, I feel it is my duty to point out relevant links that have been previously pointed out to me. In that spirit, I give you an article from the New York Times about protests back in the day.

The gist: even the ancient Greeks got angry about where the games were held! Only instead of protests with signs and projectile sponges, the Greeks had wars.

The ancient Greeks are officially more badass at everything they did. They wrestled naked, they created Democracy, and when they were angry about something, they were really, really angry about it. They're not digging out their retro "Free Tibet" flags, they were digging out their loincloths and spears instead.

Someday I'll have a more in-depth look at the current politico-Olympic situation. In the meantime, I'll just leave you with this:


Hey, guys, I hear they're hosting the games in a country we don't agree with! Let's dig out some signs and bother people participating in an act that has only symbolic significance!


Hey, guys, I hear they're holding the Olympics in a city-state we don't agree with! Let's slaughter them while they try to play sports!


Sources:
"Beware of Greeks Bearing Placards." Tony Perrottet. NYTimes.com.
Images: us.yimg.com, meltaylor.files.wordpress.com (from the movie
300)

No comments: